3D Printing Is Now Child’s Play With The Printrbot Play 1505
Newer technologies are always exciting and especially so when they become available to you and me and not when they are just used in some industry. The 3D printing technology is not completely new, but now you can print out 3D objects just as you would print out on a piece of paper. There are so many 3D printers on the market and there are too many cheap ones too.
Finding one that fits your bill in terms of price and performance can be quite a time-consuming and frustrating task. If you are looking for one that is not too complicated and lets your print out of the box, then the Printrbot Play 1505 might be just the one for you. It is an extremely affordable printer but with the capabilities of a high-end3D printer. It is perfect for beginners, hobbyists, and students. Read on as we tease out its features and capabilities so that you can make an informed purchase.
Before we get into the finer details, here is a quick look at some of the best features of the Play.
- An all-metal construction for stable and consistent prints
- A fan shroud and an extruder cover to be safe for use around children
- A good build volume of 4 x 4 x 5 inches
- An Auto-calibration probe that works with the help of the 3D printing software for a flat print bed
- A fully pre-assembled printer to print right out of the box
- Untethered printing with the USB and the micro-SD ports
Printrbot Play 1505 review
1. Print quality
For an entry-level printer, the print quality is rather superior compared to those in the segment. You can print objects with precision. The surface quality of the printed objects is smooth and flawless. Even the smallest details are printed to perfection thanks to the print resolution of 50 microns.The maximum resolution, however, is 100 microns. The automatic leveling feature ensures that the printing platform is flat and so ultimately you get really good quality prints.
The frame is made of powder-coated steel while the internal moving parts, as well as the print bed, are made of aluminum. The hot-end too is an all-metal UBIS hot end. The two fans at the front help in reducing the temperature of the print area. One of the fans points down to cool the printed object while the other fan cools down the hot end and the extruder block.
Nothing can be more frustrating than having your filament tangling in the middle of a print job. But the Play comes with a spool rack that is also made of powder coated steel like the outer frame. This ensures that the printing is smooth and you don’t encounter frustrating filament tangles or hangs. The spool is also easy to attach and remove.
3. Untethered printing
Forget annoying cables as the printer comes with a USB and a micro-SD port. So simply transfer your print files to a flash drive or a micro-SD card and enjoy the experience of untethered printing. This is also a handy feature because you can move your laptop even in the middle of printing if required.
4. Build volume
The printer has an open print area and has a build volume of 4 x 4 x 5 inches which is quite remarkable for a desktop model. For you to get an idea of what that is, imagine printing something the size of a medium-sized coffee mug.
5. Printer filaments
If you want the best prints with PLA, then the Play will completely ace it. It can also use others like Nylon and even metal or wood filled filaments. But since there is no heated bed, plastics like ABS cannot be used. The printer also comes with a sample PLA filament to let you print as soon as you bring your printer home.
Read : Best 3D Printing Filament
The size of the printer is compact enough to sit comfortably on your desktop. Its dimensions are 14 x 11 x 12 inches (D x W x H) giving it a rather small footprint.
To simplify things for you the Printrbot Play comes pre-assembled. The printer, however, does not come pre-installed with the 3D printing software but this can be downloaded from the internet for free. The recommended software is Cura v15.04.
The Printrbot Play comes with a 2-month warranty. Though it may sound like a very short period, this is compensated with an excellent support page and prompt email support.
- Sturdy –An all-metal frame, metal hot-end and a metal print bed all make for an extremely sturdy print bed for quality and consistent prints
- Safe – Though the printing area is open the extruder comes with a cover so that children do not accidentally or deliberately touch the hot end
- Compact – The play has a very small footprint and will take only a small place on your desktop.
- Great price – The 3D printer has enough features to keep you wondering how they could fit them into such a small price of under $500
- Easy to assemble –You can easily assemble the printer in minutes and it comes with easy-to-understand instructions in the kit
- Not heated bed–As there is no heated bed, printing with plastics like ABS can be difficult but you can always add one on if you want to.
- No inbuilt software –The free software does not come pre-installed and can test your patience especially if you can’t wait to start printing out of the box.
There are quite a few cheap 3D printers on the market. Beginners and hobbyist make the mistake of buying cheap printers which may fall apart after only a few printing sessions. Even if you start out as a hobbyist, once you start printing you will want to print more and better 3D objects. It is an excellent printer for students and can easily be set-up in a classroom without taking up too much space.
So a good quality printer that is also easy on your pocket will be a good choice and will save you money in the long run. The Printrbot play 1505 is not just for beginners, but it is quite a premium 3D printer that comes at a budget-friendly price. Go for it and you will be glad that you didn’t buy a cheap 3D printer.